cake batter cashew butter


So I had never heard of cashew butter before I found this recipe. Cake batter?  Yes, I've heard of that one.  But cashew butter, no.  However, I suppose there is almond and peanut butter so how should cashew butter be any different?

It really isn't, folks.  And this recipe uses almond and vanilla extract to give it a cake batter-y aroma.

So away I went, mashin' up cashews in the food processor.  So word of the wise: use a real sized food processor, as in not a mini one, like I did.  You will burn out your mini food processor.  Like I did.

Once the cashews are ground up and smooth-ish (I had to add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to smooth it out), add your vanilla and almond extracts.  Another word of the wise, do not add the sprinkles in WITH the extracts.  Or else your sprinks will start to melt away, like you can see in the bottom picture.  Whoops.  So I just added extra sprinkles to compensate for my losses :)

End result: delicious cashew butter.  I'll have to admit, it's a big different taste than peanut butter, and for some reason, I was not expecting that.  I've just eaten it as a dip for pretzels, but I'm sure it'd be great on a sandwich!